Saturday 23 November 2013

my kind of (protein) mousse

I remember the first time I ever tried eating mousse.

I was nine years- old, and eating dinner with my family at a popular all- you- can- eat restaurant.

As my parents and brother continued to make their way through plates piled high with pizza, pasta and salad, I made a bee- line for the dessert buffet.

With eager eyes (much larger than my stomach), I filled my bowl with jelly, pudding, ice- cream and lots of lollies. A tray full of brown semi- solid gunk was there -  the label announced that it was Chocolate Mousse - but it looked ghastly and I avoided it.

However, when I went back for a second serve of ice- cream, I noticed that the chocolate mousse was almost finished! It had disappeared in minutes!

Curiosity got the better of me. Surely something so popular had to taste good.. Right?

Right. Those few spoonfuls of delightful cloud- like chocolate blew my mind.

Fast- forward a couple of decades (yes, decades - sad but true) and there I was the other day, staring at the punnets of strawberries I had in my refrigerator and wondering whether the words 'strawberry' and 'mousse' could possibly be used in the same sentence.

Well, the answer is yes. Yes, they can.

My evidence? Here it is - the recipe for my kind of mousse - just as delicious as that chocolate mousse seventeen years ago, but jazzed up with raw, vegan, plant- based protein, good fats and superfoods. Enjoy.

my kind of (protein) mousse
serves 1-2
strawberry & coconut protein mousse -

blueberry and coconut protein mousse -

banana and coconut protein mousse -

1/2 cup raw macadamia nuts or cashews**
2 medjool dates, pitted
1/3 cup organic coconut milk
1 cup fruit of choice - I have used strawberries, blueberries and ripe bananas
1/2 tbsp organic maca powder*
1 tbsp organic mesquite powder*
2 tbsp vanilla pea protein powder*
3 tbsp organic extra virgin coconut oil, melted

Soak the nuts in clean water overnight or for at least 1-2 hours. In a separate bowl, do the same with the medjool dates.

Once the soaking time has elapsed, drain the nuts and dates but reserve the water used to soak the dates. Rinse and drain the nuts again, then place them into a blender with the dates, coconut milk, maca, mesquite and protein powders and 3 tbsp of the reserved soaking water. Blend very well, until the mixture is smooth, creamy and uniform in colour.

Add the fruit and blend very well again.

Finally, add the melted coconut oil and blend until very well combined.

Pour into two serving bowls, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes to allow the mixture to stiffen.

To serve, top with fresh fruit, chia seeds, hemp seeds, nut butter or whatever tickles your fancy and enjoy.

chocolate mousse -

For a chocolate mousse -
Use 1/2 cup ripe banana (instead of 1 cup), and add 2 tbsp organic cacao powder and 1 tbsp organic carob powder.

* I use Loving Earth's maca and mesquite powders, and Vital Greens' pea protein powder.
** For a nuttier flavour, try macadamia nuts. For a milder flavour, use cashew nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment